Tuesday 1 October 2013

Endoplasmic Reticulum - Ribosomal Hangout!


Endoplasmic Reticulum

Endoplasmi-who?
Hi! My name is Endoplasmic Reticulum. You may be aware of the current voting that is undergoing for the best organelle in the cell. Your choices, may range from the nucleus, to the ribosome, or even the mitochondria. Well, that’s all fine - but here's why you should vote for me! Let me give you the full explanation of what I do, and if you don't understand a word - hover over the green words to learn more about them! (if you're using an iPad don't bother trying, instead there's a glossary at the bottom)

A Bit About My Personal Life..
I was discovered and named by Albert Claude and Keith Porter at Rockefeller Institute in Belgium, first noticed in chicken cells in 1945. By about 1950, scientist George Palade discovered that there was more of me in cells that used more proteins - for example some immune cells would have more of me than other cells. Endoplasmic means "within the plasm" and reticulum means "network".

Why Should You Care About Me?
I am a series of membranes that connect the nuclear membrane to the cytoplasm. I comprise TWO separate types of Endoplasmic Reticulum, both Smooth and Rough, just like split personalities! I understand your life difficulties, because I know life can be rough and smooth...
Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum
  • Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum (RER, Rough ER)
    • I house many of those yummy amino acids; proteins that are vital to life - you are made of proteins!
    • Ribosomes love me! They stick on me, which is how I got the name Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum!
    • I, unlike the ribosome, help the polypeptide formed by the ribosome fold into a functional protein
    • I, being the kind organelle I am, also package each protein and send it to my smooth endoplasmic reticulum
    • Usually proteins from the Rough ER are sent to the cell membrane or outside of the cell (exocytosis)
  • Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (SER, Smooth ER)
  • Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum
    • For all those who don't like their rough skin, just like you I also don't like being rough everywhere - I'm smooth because I don't have Ribosomes on some parts of me!
    • Creation of lipids and other carbohydrates are done within the smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum!
    • I contain enzymes which help detoxify and process chemicals like alcohol
    • I take the products from the rough endoplasmic reticulum and send it to wherever it needs to go, usually the golgi body. Possible usages of these products include their usage within the cell, or maybe I'll even send the product to the Golgi Apparatus in a luxurious vesicle!
  • Miscellaneous
    • I'm found in eukaryotic cells - both animal and plant cells
    • A real world analogy would be that I am the construction site of proteins, while the ribosomes are the workers that build the proteins.
    • If you didn't quite understand some words - remember you can hover over green text! (if you're using an iPad don't bother trying, instead there's a glossary at the bottom)

Even In Other Cells...
Rudimentary, my job, isn't it? That is where you're wrong! Dependent on the type of cell I am taking my residence in, I also have additional responsibilities, such as...

Muscle Cells - I store calcium ions which allows muscles to contract (yeah man, I’m helpin’ ya work out!)
Nerve Cells - I help in the creation of hormones
Pancreas Cells - I help in the creation of insulin
Liver Cells - I help in the creation of certain enzymes to break down substances
Immune Cells - I help in the creation of antibodies

Real Life Picture Of Me, Hard At Work!
My membranous layers can be seen in this picture, along
 with me and my buddies, the ribosomes, chillin' hard at work



So, what are you waiting for? VOTE FOR ME!
We can't stop!

~ EndoplasmiReticulum ~


Glossary (because I know iPads don't allow the onHover element event)
Amino Acid - molecules that combine to form proteins

Ribosome - organelles that create proteins

Polypeptide - string of amino acids, usually from 10-100 amino acids

Fold - process in which a polypeptide forms bonds with each other to give it it's shape and function

Exocytosis - process in which a vesicle carrying materials merging with the cell membrane from inside the cell to expel it's contents outside

Lipid - molecules used for energy, signaling, and structure

Carbohydrate - extremely important biological molecule comprising of carbon hydrogen and oxygen (usually found in a hydrogen:oxygen ratio of 2:1)

Detoxify and Process - process in which the body breaks down toxic substances into simple molecules. In the case of alcohol, it is broken down into acetate which after further processing exits the body as carbon dioxide and water

Vesicle - a membrane which carries it's contents around the cell, usually carries enzymes or other proteins

Eukaryotic - Cells with a 'good nucleus', these cells contain a membrane bound nucleus and membrane bound organelles

Hormones - the 'language' cells speak to each other with

Insulin - a hormone that allows cells to bring glucose through their membrane

Enzymes - proteins that work at repeating chemical reactions

Antibodies - types of chemical 'keys' to the surface of other cells - this allows immune cells to initiate an immune response on certain cells if these 'keys' fit the 'locks' on the cell

References
"Endoplasmic Reticulum" Endoplasmic Reticulum. The Franklin Institute 02 September 2013 <http://www.fi.edu/qa97/biology/cells/cell5.html>
Fraser, Douglas. Biology 12. Nelson Education, 2012. Print.

10 comments:

  1. You should not be voted for because of your choice in music.
    Everybody Agree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. denied. miley cyrus ties perfectly. my organelle is involved in the synthesis of enzymes that catalyse the breakdown of drugs. for example alcohol into acetate. therefore miley cyrus cant stop doing drugs and my organelle cant stop working hard to breakdown those drugs into simple compounds.

      Delete
    2. So, you're telling me that you're attempting to compare a washed up, drunken, psychotic, former disney child star to the function of the endoplasmic reticulum? Your reasoning behind the song and background of this page is absolute balderdash.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While rereading your blog I have come to the conclusion that you have supplied us with improper and watered down definitions I have searched the web and found you the proper ones. Next time have more extensive background research on the subject before making false accusations.

    Here are some PROPER definitions.

    Amino Acid- Amino acids are biologically important organic compounds made from amine and carboxylic acid functional groups, along with a side-chain specific to each amino acid.

    Ribosome- is a large and complex molecular machine, found within all living cells, that serves as the primary site of biological protein synthesis . Ribosomes link amino acids together in the order specified by messenger RNA (mRNA) molecules. Ribosomes consist of two major subunits—the small ribosomal subunit reads the mRNA, while the large subunit joins amino acids to form a polypeptide chain. Each subunit is composed of one or more ribosomal RNA (rRNA) molecules and a variety of proteins.


    Vesicle- A vesicle is a small bubble within a cell, and thus a type of organelle. Enclosed by lipid bilayer, vesicles can form naturally, for example, during endocytosis. Alternatively, they may be prepared artificially, when they are called liposomes. If there is only one phospholipid bilayer, they are called unilamellar vesicles; otherwise they are called multilamellar. The membrane enclosing the vesicle is similar to that of the plasma membrane, and vesicles can fuse with the plasma membrane to release their contents outside of the cell.

    These are just a few of many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please, tone down the definitions to a grade 10 level and requirement of learning - is it required that we all understand beta oxidation within the mitochondria? Or, how about the many complex reactions that are undergoing right now within cellular respiration. Not to mention synapse, occurring while neurons are firing right now? Do we need to understand that at our current level? No, we do not. So thank you, and I appreciate your constructive criticism.

      Delete
    2. Don't be such a hypocrite. Why do you ask Gerrid to tone down the definitions to a grade ten level when meanwhile you are using those same bombastic terms?

      Delete
  4. Could we have an educational discussion of the wonders of my organelle? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah there, Endoplasmic Reticulum, I believe we need to back up a few steps here! Let's take away Miley Cyrus, the confusing definitions, and the dry campaign slogans for a minute. The sole purpose of the rough ER is to process and package MY proteins! You are merely another organelle that relies on me - another burden to my heavy workload of producing the proteins in the cell. And also, I hate to break it to you now but I never 'loved' you. Yeah, I know we may have had a thing going on for a while, but at the end of the day I am independent organelle, and I don't need an ER! I am mainly free roaming and have always been independently functioning. Speaking of functioning, the ribosomes are responsible for performing a variety of tasks within the cell including reproduction, growth, fighting viruses, creating DNA, metabolizing and MANY MORE! With these kinds of vital functions under my belt, it's no wonder you won't let me go! After all, the 'construction site' isn't much without the 'construction workers'! Life is IMPOSSIBLE without me!

    See you in the cell!
    - The Ribosomes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa there, Ribosome, I believe WE need to back up a few steps here! Imagine a world without Endoplasmic Reticulum - no synthesis of lipids, and carbohydrates means no growth in a cell. Ribosomes may create proteins but then what? Without the Endoplasmic Reticulum to drag the proteins to where they need to go - you may as well be a computer without internet. What's a worker without it's construction site, and what's a worker without it's tools to build it's products with?

      See you in the cell!
      - The Endoplasmic Reticulum

      Delete